Governor Ned Lamont

Debt Management

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How can I buy State of Connecticut Bonds?
    Bonds issued by the State of Connecticut may be purchased in the primary or secondary market from brokers, and in some cases, underwriting banks. When the State sells new bonds, there is usually a priority period for individual investors to place retail orders which is advertised to the public. Please call your investment advisor for further details.

    Information about the State and its bonds also may be found on at

    The Securities and Exchange Commission regulates securities firms and the markets. Exchanges often also regulate their members. In Connecticut, the State Department of Banking regulates certain security firms in Connecticut and may be reached at 860-240-8230.

  2. Does the State of Connecticut still issue College Savings Bonds?
    At this time, the College Savings Bond Program has been discontinued. However, the Office of the Treasurer does offer a state-sponsored program for families to save and invest for higher education expenses called the Connecticut Higher Education Trust, or CHET. Under current law, earnings on CHET contributions are tax deferred at the federal level and state income tax exempt until withdrawn to pay higher education costs. An informational brochure and enrollment application may be obtained by calling 1-888-799-CHET or visit

  3. How can I obtain a copy of an Official Statement or other State disclosure information for a particular bond issue?
    Copies of Official Statements may be obtained, if they are still available, from your broker or from the Debt Management Division by visiting and making a request or by calling 1-877-552-8266.

    The State also has agreed to provide certain disclosure information, including Official Statements, to Nationally Recognized Municipal Securities Information Repositories ("NRMSIR") in accordance with the requirements of Rule 15c2-12 promulgated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC),.

    As of July 1, 2009, as directed by the SEC, the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB) has maintained a continuing disclosure service through its Electronic Municipal Market Access (EMMA) system.

    The MSRB EMMA continuing disclosure service provides to the public, free of charge, electronic access to primary municipal market disclosure documents, ongoing disclosures, trade data, and other related information on the EMMA website at

    Information about the State and its bonds may be found at

  4. I own State of Connecticut Bonds and I have a question concerning:

    • An interest or principal payment
    • Any notices that may have been issued to call the bonds prior to maturity
    • The registration of the bonds
    • A bond that has matured
    • A lost college savings bond certificate or similar question

    Please contact the Paying Agent and Registrar as follows:

    For State of Connecticut General Obligation Bonds (including College Savings Bonds), Special Tax Obligation Bonds, Bradley Airport Bonds, Clean Water Fund Bonds, and University of Connecticut 2000 Bonds:

    U.S. Bank, Global Corporate Trust Services
    Attn.: Bondholder Services - EP-MN-WS2N
    111 Fillmore Avenue East
    St. Paul, MN 55107-1402

    For The Connecticut Juvenile Training School Certificates of Participation:

    The Bank of New York Mellon
    Corporate Trust Operations
    111 Sanders Creek Parkway
    East Syracuse, NY 13057

  5. How Are Connecticut Bonds issued?
    Since 1987, State of Connecticut bonds generally have been issued in $5,000 denominations as fully registered book entry bonds, without physical certificates or coupons to clip. Bond transactions are recorded in electronic computerized book entry form by the Depository Trust Company (DTC), a New York limited purpose trust company and member of the Federal Reserve System. DTC is also a registered clearing agency under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and holds securities for participants. Direct Participants include securities brokers and dealers, banks, trust companies, clearing corporations, and certain other organizations. Purchase of the book entry bonds under the DTC system must be made by or through the Direct Participants who will receive a credit for the bonds on DTCs computerized records. The Direct Participants are in turn responsible for keeping accurate records of their individual clients' holdings and issuing written transaction confirmations and periodic account statements to the individual clients. Under this system individual bondholders do not receive physical certificates representing their ownership of the bonds, but should receive account statements of their holdings from their securities broker.

    Bonds issued prior to 1987 might not be fully registered and might require that coupons be clipped and mailed to the paying agent. The zero coupon College Savings Bonds were issued in denominations of $1,000 and pay no interest until maturity. For college savings bonds, please note that although physical bond certificates were also issued to individual bondholders, a broker may also hold these bonds.

  6. How are Connecticut Bonds rated?
    Bond ratings depend on the security features of particular bonds. Some bonds might have different credit ratings assigned to them by the rating agencies due to credit enhancements, such as bond insurance or letters of credit; or due to escrows or reserves that have been set up to pay principal and interest on refunded issues.

    The most recent credit ratings for a particular municipal bond can be obtained from the following nationally recognized credit rating agencies located in New York City.

  7. I am interested in obtaining information about bonds issued by a State Authority. Whom should I contact?
    Below is a list of State Authorities that issue their own debt. Please contact them directly.

  8. Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority
    10 Columbus Boulevard
    7th Floor
    Hartford, CT, 06106-1976
    (860) 520-4700
    Connecticut Higher Education Supplemental Loan Authority
    10 Columbus Boulevard
    7th Floor
    Hartford, CT, 06106-1976
    860- 520-4001
    Connecticut Housing Finance Authority
    999 West Street
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    860- 721-9501
    Connecticut Innovations
    865 Brook Street
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    Materials Innovation and Recyling Authority
    200 Corporate Place
    Suite 202
    Rocky Hill, CT 06067
    860- 757-7700